+ Reply to Thread
    Cone Killer

Top 10 Safeties of all-time (I miss walt)!

Possibly the most fun position in football. Who doesn't love watching a defenseless WR crossing over the middle and getting demolished by a safety coming at full blast.

1. Ronnie Lott - Defines the position. Never let a play behind him...and if you saw him coming you knew you had better get to the ground or be prepared to get killed. 8 time all pro, helped a young 9ers secondary to a super bowl victory in his rookie year. Every team wished they had this guy.

2. Paul Krause - Krasue’s career total of 81 interceptions during a 16-season career with the Washington Redskins and Minnesota Vikings from 1964 to 1979 is absolutely mind-boggling – especially when you consider he played in an era when teams didn’t throw ball nearly as much as in today’s era of high-powered passing offenses. Krause was the starting safety in Super Bowls IV, VIII, IX, and XI, in the 1969 NFL championship game and NFC title games in 1973, 1974, 1976 and 1977. He intercepted one pass in Super Bowl IV and recovered a fumble inIX.

3. Ken Houston - Easily could be second on this list. As the premier free safety of his era in a 14-year career that began with the 1967 Houston Oilers, Houston was a player that was way ahead of his time. After excelling for six years with the Oilers, Houston was traded to the Washington Redskins for five veteran players in 1973 where he was either All-Pro or All-NFC every year from 1973 to 1979.

4. Willie Wood - He looked like mini-me in the secondary. A towering 5'10" and intimidating 190lbs he was not your prototypical NFL safety, but this guy could flat out play. Wood won first or second team All-NFL honors nine times from 1962 through 1970 season and was a Pro Bowl participant eight times (1963, 1965 –1971) and also played in six NFL championship games.

5. Larry Wilson - I was originally going to put another safety here but after further review, I decided that Wilson would be my choice. Not only was he more than capable in pass coverage, but it was Wilson’s exploits in blitzing from the safety position that helped him to really stand out. Basically, when Wilson wasn’t flattening opposing quarterbacks, he was picking them off downfield. Wilson won first or second team all-league honors seven times during his career and played in eight Pro Bowls.

6. Ed Reed - Redefining how the position should be played every time he steps out on the field for the Ravens. Even though Ray Lewis may be the leader of the defense, Reed is probably the most talented player on the field. Plays amazingly well against the run, shut down defender, can hit like nobody's business, and is even a great special teams player. Could be top 3 by the time his career comes to an end.

7. Steve Atwater - This is a personal favorite of mine. Atwater was truly a sledgehammer in the secondary. He was known for leaving his feet and brutalizing anyone that tried to catch a ball down the field. Although he didn't have amazing career INT numbers he forced a ton of fumbles and forced more dropped passes than one could count. Loved to watch this guy play.

8. Cliff Harris - "Captain Crash" was scary and wreckless. During a time when the game was more discipline, Harris represented a patient from a psych ward that was let loose on the football field. During his career he made 5 Super Bowl appearances, was chosen for the Pro Bowl six consecutive times and was voted All Pro four times.

9. Jake Scott - Member of the undefeated 72 Miami Dolphins and possibly the most important cog on their defensive unit. Finished that season as Super Bowl MVP of SB VII, recording 2 interceptions and 63 return yards in the Dolphins' 14-7 win. He also played for the Dolphins in their Super Bowl VIII win, recording a fumble recovery, 20 punt return yards, and 47 kickoff return yards in that game. The guy was just a great ball player.

10. Rod Woodson - Going to be a HOF player as soon as he's eligable. Had an amazing career in Pittsburgh anchoring that defense for over a decade. Was never the hardest hitter (make no mistake, he could hit) but he was great at reading the offense and getting his hands on the ball, always causing problems for opposing teams.

There you have it, my top 10 free roaming sledgehammers on the defensive side of the ball. Where's walt?
    "McTune" -The 518's premier WRX/STI/Evo tuner

The "replacement for displacement" is measured in 'psi'!

"You can lose a lot of money chasing women. But you'll never lose a woman chasing money." -A man much wiser than I

Parking Lot Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by MYIX8UR8 View Post
    Possibly the most fun position in football. Who doesn't love watching a defenseless WR crossing over the middle and getting demolished by a safety coming at full blast.

10. Rod Woodson - Going to be a HOF player as soon as he's eligable. Had an amazing career in Pittsburgh anchoring that defense for over a decade. Was never the hardest hitter (make no mistake, he could hit) but he was great at reading the offense and getting his hands on the ball, always causing problems for opposing teams.

There you have it, my top 10 free roaming sledgehammers on the defensive side of the ball. Where's walt?

wasnt woodson a CB for nearly his entire career in Pitt until the tail end when he went to Baltimore?

Straight Line Warrior
    Yeah Rod woodson was a CB, ill put my list up tommorrow, i had a really busy weekend of playing gears of war and guitar hero II for like 30 hours
    New York Giants, 2007 NFL Champions

Wait, this is my favorite part.
    one problem....how can you leave out john lynch one of the hardest hitting safeties of all time?

Cone Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by usmc2801 View Post
    one problem....how can you leave out john lynch one of the hardest hitting safeties of all time?
    John Lynch would've been my next pick...and I guess you could put him as my #10 in place of Woodson since Woodson only played about 4 seasons at Safety. He's defenitely not in my top 9 though.

"You can lose a lot of money chasing women. But you'll never lose a woman chasing money." -A man much wiser than I

Straight Line Warrior
    ill do mine tommorrow, i havent showered for 3 days and am hooked on my 360 until monday in the AM...................your luck i got up to type this lol

Cone Killer
    safeties and fullbacks, walt! i'm not doing anything else til your ass catches up

GoKart Master
    Ronnie Lott was one nasty SOB. Any guy who loses a finger from playing football and doesn't miss a game isn't someone i'd wanna run a crossing pattern across the middle on.

President/Founder - 607 Motorsports
    NY's Premier Performance Based Car Club
    www.607motorsports.com

Straight Line Warrior
    Yeah same here, unless i was Mark Bavro, in that case I would take him and 3 of his teamates for a 15 yard ride haha

Cone Killer
    damn you walt stop teasing me and post some top 10's safeties and fullback's!!!

Straight Line Warrior
    Ok here we go, MY top 10 safeties

1. Ronnie Lott- clearly the greatest safety to ever play, 10 pro bowls at 3 different positions, could run, hit,and lay a licking on someone. Memeber of the 75th ann. all nfl team What else is there to say?

2. Ken Houston- clearly the #2 safety of all time, was the premier player at this position his whole career, member of the 75th ann. all nfl team , justin said the rest

3. Larry Wilson- Also a member of the 75th ann. all nfl team, Small for his position, a 7th round draft pick, 8 pro bowls, one of the toughest players to ever play, one game he even had a interception with both of his hands in casts......and terell owens missed 4 weeks with a broken finger...........ha

4. Paul Krause- led the league in interceptions his rookie year with 12, played in all four vikings super bowls(they lost all 4), has the most interception (81) in nfl history.

5. Chuck Cecil- A personal Favorite of mine, could have been one of the best ever if he didnt get concussions every day, this guy laid out everyone, he had blood all over him every game lol, was nasty hitter who only lasted 7 seasons because of his vicious way of hitting. Mae it to 1 pro bowl.

6. Brian Dawkins- IMO the best safety in the nfl over the last 10 years. he can hit, run, cover and will surely be in canton when all said and done. Is the only player to have an interception, a quarterback sack, a fumble recovery, and a touchdown reception in one game.

7. Steve Atwater- this guy was an animal, went to a bunch of super bowls with Denver winning 2 of them, hit harder than anyone ive ever seen, even Ronnie Lott.

For the rest of my list I am just putting 3 safeties that I have watched in my time since 1992 that I think have been great, I dont know any more old ones worth andamn, and ive never heard of willie wood, i dont care if hes in the hall of fame, ive never heard of him so hes not going to be on MY list.

8. Carnell Lake- A 5 time pro bowler and runner up for MVP one time Lake was the best all around safety I have ever seen, he could do anything and was the steelers defense of the 90s, he was voted to the 1990s all pro team.

9. Darren Woodson- also a very good all around safety, a classy player on a team full of assholes, was the only cowboy from the 90s i could tolerate, whenever Dallas needed a big play on D this guy was there

10. Rodney "hitman" Harrison- Dirty PLayer, can hit and cover very well, was voted firtiest player byhis peers in SI, has been fined more than anyone in history for dirty hits and cheap shots, uses his body as a weapon.

Honorable mention-Leroy Butler, John Lynch

Here you go, ill do fullbacks later

Elite Premium
    Lott...with all his 9 fingers, gets my top vote... Woodson was excellent... but what about Henry Jones?

Thread Information