Closed Thread
    the producer. a.k.a. Paul Walker

Tire Tread to Pass Inspection

Anyone have any idea what kind of tread must be on the car to pass inspection? My girlfriend tried to get hers inspected and they said she needs to replace two tires. We took it to another repair shop (not an inspection authorized place) and they said the tires still have a good year on them. Any ideas? Don't want to get ripped off

Administrator
    I think its 2/32"

Administrator
    Yup it is...

Tires
    (Except spare)
    • Tread depth - must be at least 2/32 inch when measured in two adjacent major tread grooves showing the most wear
    • Tire condition - check for any fabric break or cut over the length or width of 1 inch, visible bumps, bulges or knots, and any restricted use designation on the tire
    • Tire pressure - You will be informed if the vehicle's tire pressure in not within the manufacturer's recommendation. This is an advisement only, and not cause for rejection.

Now is that from deepest part of the tread or the wear bar?

Administrator
    hmm that I don't know.

Just checked out the quarter test and all of hers look fine. I think they're just trying to scam her for 2 tires.

Tread-depth test: Out with the penny, in with the quarter? | Car News Blog at Motor Trend

n00b
    at least 2/32 in 2 adjacent tread grooves

dr. faggot
    as long at their is a tread pattern on tire with no cords showing you will pass... it's a very grey area on tires with no cords showing

Parking Lot Spectator
    wear bars on a tire are there for the tire manu,s recomended wear not legal so dont go buy the wear bar ,that bein said ya need at least 2/32 tread on a tire any 2 adjacent treads thinner than that fail but the tire needs to be pretty shot for it to fail . yes i am a n.y.s.i
    94 z-28 spohn tubular rear susp ,sub frame connectors ,3.5 k stall conv ,cc503 cam mid lenght headers, hooker cat back,k/n c.a.i , vortech intake elbow ............oh and its bottle fed

Local Boob.
    The wear bar on MOST tires represents 2/32". That being said, go by the deepest part of the tread groove to the height of the protruding tread.

Another thing to consider, your rain traction starts going to shit after you pass 4/32". Even though it's still legal by the letter of the law, most tires are unsafe to be run at or even near the mandated minimums. I wouldn't trust NYS inspection code as a "safe vehicle" check. You could have balljoints ready to break free from the car, it wouldn't matter. not an inspectable item.

However, a streaking windshield wiper is. Go figure.

Parking Lot Spectator
    as an inspector myself we have to go from the worst tread depth and it HAS to be the next tread groove over and both have to be under 2/32" in order to fail, unless there is cord showing and this is on any tire not just the tire being removed for the inspection itself
    I got nice fucking sideburns

Parking Lot Spectator
    the inspection laws are so screwed up , most of it is to make the green hippies happy and shit ,so glad my toy is a 94 even though the computer end of it is easy to get trew if ya know how to get around certain problems
    94 z-28 spohn tubular rear susp ,sub frame connectors ,3.5 k stall conv ,cc503 cam mid lenght headers, hooker cat back,k/n c.a.i , vortech intake elbow ............oh and its bottle fed

dr. faggot
    Quote Originally Posted by 88slowmarro View Post
    the inspection laws are so screwed up , most of it is to make the green hippies happy and shit ,so glad my toy is a 94 even though the computer end of it is easy to get trew if ya know how to get around certain problems
    what this guy said ^

Parking Lot Spectator
    you still have to pass safety and that includes tire tread depth

Parking Lot Spectator
    oh really ,wasnt sure of that fact .

Parking Lot Spectator
    read up on nys regulations. anything 96+ has to pass the obdII everything still has to pass a safety portion and a somewhat emission. like still having a cat, a gas cap, no fuel leaks

Parking Lot Spectator
    i was jokin dude .like i said before i am a inspector so please stop tryin to school me as i know already

Underground Bench Racer
    i was jokin dude .like i said before i am a inspector so please stop tryin to school me as i know already
    Wow, you come in and douche it up, then get indignant when somebody else makes the point that proves your input worthless to the thread. You're a winner.

Where do you inspect at? I'll be sure to avoid driving directly in front of the bays.

Parking Lot Spectator
    first off cbass i dont know who the fuck you are i was talkin about the tires and whatnot so you can go fuck yourself ,secondly if im supposedly bad then why does half of shift forum come to me for almost everything ? maybe cause im retarted right ? so before you go barkin up the wrong tree like a big tuff guy look into who your talkin at .trust me i dont play and take that how ya want to

Elite Premium
    first off cbass i dont know who the fuck you are i was talkin about the tires and whatnot so you can go fuck yourself ,secondly if im supposedly bad then why does half of shift forum come to me for almost everything ? maybe cause im retarted right ? so before you go barkin up the wrong tree like a big tuff guy look into who your talkin at .trust me i dont play and take that how ya want to
    and you're the same guy that passes cars with leaking power steering racks. WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER...

lol I've been drinking, ignore me

Underground Bench Racer
    first off cbass i dont know who the fuck you are
    Good. I don't know who you are either.

i was talkin about the tires and whatnot so you can go fuck yourself ,
    No, you said specifically about how your car is pre-obd2, which as far as I know (read: a lot more than you) about tires, there are no OBD2 connected tires.

secondly if im supposedly bad then why does half of shift forum come to me for almost everything ? maybe cause im retarted right ?
    I didn't say you're bad, I ensued that I wouldn't want to drive my car in front of a shop that would pass a car based solely on the NYSVIP system and ignore a visual.

so before you go barkin up the wrong tree like a big tuff guy look into who your talkin at .trust me i dont play and take that how ya want to
    LOL. Take it how I want? Well, I guess you can buy me dinner, but I cannot reciprocate those feelings for you. Maybe try someplace like the local GLBTQ meetings?

Alright guys, my question was answered and I'll stick with that. Thanks for the help everyone.

Thread Information